When it comes to eating healthy my go to source of carbs is sweet potatoes. For savory dishes I usually balance the natural sweetness of the potato with some heat. Ground turkey in a rich gravy piled high with mashed sweet potatoes is my kind of comfort food.
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 small onion
- lean ground turkey, roughly 20.8 oz
- 1/2 cup peas
- 1 cup low sodium beef broth
- 1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons arrowroot starch or cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1 1/2 teaspoons seasoning salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper to taste
Start off by roasting your sweet potatoes for one hour at 400° until they are soft. Once slightly cooled peel off the skin and place the potatoes in a bowl and mash.
- In a saute pan, cook the onions and garlic in oil of choice until translucent.
- Add the ground turkey and the seasonings, breaking the meat up as it cooks.
- Combine the arrowroot or cornstarch with the beef broth and then add to the meat mixture along with the peas.
- Let the mixture cook for a few minutes so that the sauce can thicken.
- Pour the turkey filling into a medium size baking dish and top with the mashed sweet potatoes.
- Bake at 375° for 40-45 minutes until the filling is bubbly and the sweet potatoes are slightly browned.
It may not be the prettiest dish, but it sure does taste delicious.