Being half Mexican I of course love tortillas. Breakfast, lunch, dinner, snack time it doesn’t matter. Nothing beats arriving at my best friend’s parent’s house as fresh tortillas are being made. A little bit of butter on them is all you need, no fillings required. I was thrilled when I discovered a paleo tortilla recipe on pinterest. Although this recipe doesn’t replicate the texture of a tortilla exactly, it tastes amazing and is a great paleo alternative. Also if you have small children they will probably enjoy using a tortilla press as much as Cam enjoys helping me make these.
- 3/4 cup tapioca flour
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- pinch of salt
- 3 tablespoons warm water
- 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and then form into 8 roughly balls.
- Use a tortilla press to flatten the dough. Make sure to keep unused dough covered with a wet paper towel so the dough does not dry out.
- In a medium size skillet with coconut oil cook the tortillas one at a time for roughly a minute on each side until browned. Enjoy with butter, shredded chicken, salsa, you name it.
* adapted from paleo cupboard